Florida Biker Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida

4 posters

Go down

NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida Empty NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida

Post  Linda Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:59 pm

The original law did not change...

Linda

Back to top Go down

NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida Empty Vertical License tag is now legal

Post  MurphysRevenge Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:57 pm

The 2009 change in the law removed the requirement for tags to only be affixed in a horizontal manner.

MurphysRevenge

Back to top Go down

NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida Empty 316.605 Section one differs

Post  Radar Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 am

316.605 Section one differs...
The above is the original law and is still in effect. In part it reads "Vehicle license plates shall be affixed and displayed in such a manner that the letters and numerals shall be read from left to right parallel to the ground."

The law that was amended was 316.2085 which removed the $1150 fine on motorcycles for the vertical position.

Last time I checked (prior to court fees increasing), a violation of 316.605 carries a $60+ fine. In the past is been applied as a secondary offense but can be applied any time.

Radar

Radar
Admin

Back to top Go down

NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida Empty OOPS! My mistake

Post  MurphysRevenge Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:53 pm

I just went back and checked the law. You are absolutely correct. My mistake. I guess that's what I get for relying on Abate to publish non-misleading information. Until the conflict between the two sections 316.2085 and 316.605 are resolved, the use of vertical tags is at your own risk.

MR

MurphysRevenge

Back to top Go down

NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida Empty Re: NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida

Post  Dragon Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:26 pm

I just wanted to chime in and agree with Radar.

Below is a post, copied, that I have put on numerous boards answering all this "repeal" ballyhoo-ey...

316.605 is the long-standing original vehicle code, covering tag placement on any vehicle to include motorcycles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I maintain that the only things "repealed" were the language concerning "being flipped up" and the penalty, which were direct results of what was the anti-sportbike "wheelie bill".

And that it will take court-tests to know for sure or to get it further refined.

For now, I would recommend talking to senior Highway Patrol officers or high-ranking employees in DHSMV to get their "interpretation".

Because, here is the amended section as-submitted, note it is Statute 316.2085
(struck-thru text = deleted, underlined = amended)

However if you look at the complete 2009 Statutes, and scroll down to 316.605 you find the original vehicle-code language, and I just do not believe the above amended language will supercede this basic requirement, and fitting a vertical tag rather would trigger its key words (from above amending) "method of....obscuring the legibility".

316.605 Licensing of vehicles.--

"...plates shall be affixed and displayed in such a manner that the letters and numerals shall be read from left to right parallel to the ground. No vehicle license plate may be displayed in an inverted or reversed position or in such a manner that the letters and numbers and their proper sequence are not readily identifiable...... A violation of this subsection is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318."

Dragon
Dragon

http://www.stopfloridahighwaykillingsnow.com/

Back to top Go down

NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida Empty Re: NO - Verticle Tags are still not legal in Florida

Post  Radar Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:32 pm

BINGO.... thanks Dragon

Radar
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum